The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta was founded in 1848 by a group of six men at Jefferson College. John McCarty, Samuel Wilson, James Elliot Jr., Namman Fletcher, Daniel Crofts, and Ellis Greg set out to form a men’s fraternal organization that aimed to promote lifelong friendships, reaffirm high ethical standards and values, and foster personal development in the pursuit of excellence. Over the past century and a half, The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta has established chapters in over 150 colleges and universities.
In the Fall of 1976, a University of Texas FIJI by the name of Deets Finley transferred to Texas A&M University. When he arrived at A&M, Deets missed the camaraderie of his fraternity back in Austin, and became interested in starting a FIJI chapter at Texas A&M. With the moral support of his brothers in Austin, Deets set out to find men that shared his values of good character and integrity. Before the year was over, he had successfully recruited 14 men to form a colony:
|Paul H. Bracher||Randy West|
|James E. Jordan||Lias J. "Jeff" Steen|
|Bo Farr||Stuart Sasser|
|Deets E. Finley||Scott M. Kleberg|
|Robert J. Walker||Steve N. Dishman|
|Steve Thompson||Dean A. Kubecka|
|John T. Mauldin||Steve McAllister|
The early members of Aggie FIJI quickly made friends with some sororities, and held parties at house off S. College Ave. The men and their dates would stay up late dancing to music from a stereo they installed in their pantry, often turning counters and kitchen tables into dance floors.
During 1979, all of the hard work of the founding fathers paid off, the Alpha Mu Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta obtained its offical charter. Since that time, members of the founding pledge classes have continued to shepherd the chapter towards growth and excellence.